The First Cries of Eeo

As I type this, there is an adorable little monkey sleeping on my chest.

*****Week One*****

Once upon a time,
I was pregnant with a cute little baby named Eeo.



I went to the doctor for a checkup on Monday, December 3rd and they were concerned that the baby wasn’t moving enough.
They hooked me up to a baby monitor.


That massive lump on the right side is Eeo pushing through my belly. 😀

I was sent to the Hospital for another round on a baby monitor and an ultrasound, which resulted in me bursting out in a fit of laughter during and Eeo still wasn’t active enough for the technician.




They told me to come back to the Hospital for another test the next day at 8:30AM.

I went through the same thing,
baby monitor, then ultrasound (where I finally found out that Eeo was a girl!). I was exactly 37 weeks that Tuesday.
I went back to the room with the baby monitor in it and got ready to leave, but the nurse came in and hooked me back up to it. I was a bit confused as to why and thought I was okay to go home. Another nurse came in to tell me that Eeo had the same test results as the day before and wasn’t moving enough. She told me that it appeared that she wasn’t practicing breathing in the womb and they had to call a specialist to see what they should do.
After a bit, she came back to tell me that I was about to be admitted to the Hospital for an induction so they could get the baby out.
Eeo’s due date was December 25th! I was so worried, nervous, and unprepared that I had a panic attack right then and there until I heard something funny on the baby monitor and worried that my panic would make things worse for her, so I calmed down immediately.
I thought I was going to have three more weeks to prepare for all of this…
Mentally… Physically… Emotionally…
Maybe even talk myself out of my fear of Hospitals a little bit…
But, no.
They wanted her out then, and I soon had my new Hospital room set up and my sister was on the way to join me for support.

At 4:20PM, I was induced with Cervidil. An insert that readies or “ripens” the cervix, yet takes up to 12 hours to do it’s job. It was an uphill climb through 12 hours of being induced, unable to eat or drink anything and I could not fall asleep with oncoming contractions, constant nurses checking in, and beeping machines. Whenever it eventually reached 4:20AM, my cervix was checked and I was only dilated at 1.7. The contractions were at the point where they felt like my entire pelvic bone and region were getting smashed with a sledgehammer… one every two minutes or less with increasing intensity in waves.
The doctor told me that every time I had a contraction, the baby’s blood pressure dropped and they were worried that if they upped the induction with Pitocin, she would have complications through labor and we might have to have an Emergency Cesarean Section.
So, the next idea was to go ahead and have a planned C section.

The mere thought of this absolutely freaked me out!

I asked the doctor and nurses a million questions (including, “what if I freak out?!”), and they decided to wait a little bit longer and see if anything changed.
For about an hour, I laid there with intensifying pain, no meds, and rapid logical thoughts about the situation as I tried to talk myself into everything. I couldn’t help but think that this day just kept getting more and more serious and terrifying. At some point, I thought, “Well, that escalated quickly!” And I felt more calm and considered that doing the C section now would be better than going through a lot more pain and trouble that could cause problems for my little baby and end up becoming an Emergency C Section anyways(which I’d decided would be a lot more scary than one that was planned ahead!).

Right before I could call the nurses and tell them LET’S DO THIS!
They came in and told me that nothing was changing on the monitor. I told them that I’d thought about it and they were right and gave them the okay and instantly the scene changed quicker than a theatre set. I went from being in a very quiet, dim room alone with my sister and a visit from a nurse every 30 minutes or so, to the lights being cut on and I’m being wheeled into the hallway, down the hall, and to a bright operating room with about fifteen doctors and nurses introducing themselves to me with masks on and all kinds of things going on so fast it made my head spin. The whole time, I was having painful contractions and I was so terrified, tired, nervous, hungry, uncomfortable, and freaked out that I was shaking violently. I somehow managed to scoot onto the operating table, willingly, and they sat me up to give me the shots in my back to numb me from the chest down. It felt like what I imagine a scorpion sting might feel like in my lower back and a nurse held my shoulders and coaxed me into it.
I was laid back down and began to feel my lower body tingle as my arms were spread straight out as if I were being crucified. I was still shaking uncontrollably and never relented until an hour after the operation was over.
I fixed my gaze on anything that would keep me from thinking about what was going on beyond the blue sheet they curtained at my chest as the doctors discussed various things with one another. I felt my body being shifted yet felt nothing but warmth. From my chest down, My body felt like a heavy, warm pantyhose type of bag filled entirely with sand.
My sister joined the room and soon after, I heard the first cries of Eeo which sounded more like a struggling cat than a baby crying. I was nervous about her and her lungs, but she was fine. My sister ran to take pictures and came back to me to show me what she looked like as I was feeling my guts being tugged on in another dimension. It took them about five minutes to slice her out of my belly, but around 30 or something to fix me back up. They brought her to my face for what seemed like ten seconds for me to see her before she was swooped off to get cleaned up and get shots or whatever else.
I was relieved that she was okay and felt that the zenith of my fear had been overcome at that point and a steady downhill slope was on its way.
As I was being put together again, I heard the doctor on the other side say “Uh oh…”
I listened and heard him say it twice more and this is where I began to notice that the doctors were conversating as if they were out to brunch with each other. My anaesthesiologist place a hand on my head and told me not to worry and that the doctors were just bullshitting with each other and those “Uh oh”s were not meant for me. That was reassuring and we soon began to discuss Anthropology and its applications in various workplaces. I talked about studying the Occupy Movement and he asked me if I thought it was a worthless endeavor that those protestors were out there for. We rabbled on until the sheet came down and I was cleaned up and lifted onto another bed to be wheeled away to a recovery area for an hour.

So, Eeo was born at 6:50AM on December 5th, 2012. She was 6 pounds and 7 ounces. 19 inches of cuteness long. 😀


Here she is with her Aunt Lisa. ❤


Much Love, ~Kimlee Nguyen Davis ❤



2 thoughts on “The First Cries of Eeo

  1. Oh Kimlee! She is so beautiful! Motherhood is the most marvelous experience you’ll have in this life. Enjoy her, love her, you can’t “spoil” a tiny baby, so wrap yourself around her every need, as these early months, she is learning that you’re there for her. Love you, girl!

    1. 🙂 It’s a completely new dimension of life! I’m learning so much so quickly and I love it!! ❤ I'm realizing a lot of perspectives, too. Like things my mom must have gone through. It's very humbling. ^_^!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s